The hunt for a new car essentially started the last quarter of 2013. We crossed 100,000 miles on our current car in June and since that I started getting edgy about using that car for our recurrent long distance drives. Not that anything was wrong with it, really. Just that I started to lose my peace of mind because for some reason I kept anticipating it breaking down in the middle of nowhere. So, we took the time out few weekday evenings and went to test drive a range of cars that caught our interest.
Somewhere down the line, though, K convinced me of letting go of the idea of a new car and continuing our journeys with the car that’s always been there for us. Thus ended that saga of us chasing after our perfect car. We may have frittered away precious time test driving cars that we ended up not buying, but one good thing that came out of that chapter was that now we knew which make/model we preferred/liked if we were to buy anytime in the future.
And it wasn’t long before that said future came into picture.
Preparation has been going on to have K’s parents and some relatives over here for six months this year. While all else is being organized, the most important concern we had to ponder upon was transportation needs while we play hosts to eight people visiting from India. We contemplated renting another sedan or even a minivan, we discussed about whether it would be feasible to borrow a car from a friend, we mused over this and that, but after all that it seemed like the only viable option was for us to buy a car, making it a two car household with two drivers. Then we will definitely be able to manage the conveyance of all our guests without any restrictions or issues.
Consequently, the hunt was restarted. Only that, this time around we knew what we wanted exactly. We had Vehicle A in mind as our first preference, and failing to find that we also prepared a backup plan with Vehicle B. My hope all along was to stick to Vehicle A, but with our budget, mileage requirement (since we were buying a used car) and other stipulations, the prospect of fulfilling Vehicle A seemed meek. We went to chat with a dealer when we found a car fitting our expectations except for the budget. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get them to come down on the price. We stuck to our guns and walked out. And that car sold within a day or two. That obviously left me a teensy bit disappointed.
After that, either every other car that we came across still had the issue of not falling within our budget, or there were not many options for us to choose from. The dealer that we’d met let us know that it would be nearly impossible for us to find a vehicle with our set criterions. The image of the dream dimmed considerably. There was a little hope still since we had initially set a time frame for Vehicle A and we hadn’t crossed that yet, but we had almost made up our minds to jump on board with buying Vehicle B instead, given that the big picture that was mockingly playing in front of our eyes.
And that’s when I came across a specific listing. I saw it on one of the dealer’s page and I got as much information as I could from another source. The price was within our set range, it was the exact model that we were looking for. The color though was a different story altogether. Both of us were set on getting a Black one, but this was far from being Black. But, I was mature enough to look past that because, again, the price was well within what we could afford. (I always thought I wouldn’t like any color other than Black on a car, but evidently that’s not the case. I think I’ve come a long way from being that pesky little girl who put so much weight on exterior color of the car to this mature woman who takes doesn’t mind grabbing a good deal when she sees one, no matter the color.) It was curious that any other comparable car was going for at least a couple of thousands more than where they had priced this car. So, we definitely wanted to take a look before making a decision either way.
Without dillydallying much, I emailed back and forth with the dealer to first agree on a reasonable price before driving all the way down there to take see the car. One day of that and we found ourselves planning a daytrip over to the dealer’s (since they were located about seventy miles away from us). We went there Saturday morning, inspected the car, discussed certain things with the salesman, test drove it, and returned home.
Upon reaching home, we found ourselves questioning the decision to buy this particular car. The fact that it was priced so low came into debate again – we still weren’t persuaded that this car was just as good as the others but for the color. Also, the test drive wasn’t all that good because the area where the dealer was located had a snow/rain storm the day before and hence, they had no electricity. All the traffic lights and such were also off, and it was a mayhem trying to test drive the car in that neighborhood at that time. We didn’t even get a chance to take it for a ride on the highway; all we did was go a block or two on the chaotic local roads and that wasn’t enough to give us a proper feel for the ride.
So, most of Saturday and Sunday was spent going back and forth on the decision, writing emails to the dealer stating our qualms, discussing in length with friends, etc. Come Monday morning, I talked to the salesperson again and let him know that we wanted to take the car out on a test drive before finalizing anything. He agreed. We went to the bank to take care of loan paperwork – in case we liked the car we didn’t want to come back empty handed and drive all the way over there again to take care of formalities. We also went to a nearby dealer to test drive a similar pre-owned car they had on their lot. This we did to make sure we know what to expect when we drive the other car again in the evening. This dealer, upon learning that we were seriously considering the other car, let us know that he will take a look at that car’s maintenance records to see if it was really a wise choice to go with it. He did and found nothing noticeably amiss with it.
All in all, we were pretty sure we would buy the car given the test drive goes well that evening. So we left work around 4:15 and headed towards the dealership. That feeling then was exhilarating. We reached in good time. We test drove the car, and the verdict was that we loved it. So we waited in their lobby for over an hour for their finance manager to help us with the paperwork (which was the most frustrating part). Once that was complete, we drove out their lot with Dubloo in tow.
K wanted to take the first ride in the car with me, so we drove around that area for a while. That first drive in Dubloo was a noteworthy incident in itself. We decided to drive on one of the main roads and keep it short since we were new to that area. But, as always with us, we got lost maze of one way roads, and had to ask for directions at a gas station. We made it back safely, though, thanks to a nice lady who guided us back on the right route. And before we knew it each of us were leaving to head back home in our own cars.
Dubloo made it to our place Monday night and I’ve been falling in love with it ever since.